Skip to content
- International Energy Agency Stats Data Browser. Browse trends in Energy production and consumption, by energy type, country and sector.
- Sun In A Box. MIT News. December 2018. Advances in energy storage systems will be important for the grid to make more efficient use of variable energy supply from renewables. This article describes the design of one new potential energy storage system that leverages the properties of silicon and graphite.
- David Roberts, Clean Energy threatens to Overwhelm Grid, Vox, Dec 2018. This article summarizes two approaches for how to redesign the grid to better incorporate variable energy sources from renewables. It argues for layered “bottom-up” grid architecture. I don’t necessarily agree with this author, but its a valid perspective.
- Smart Grid Consumer Collaborative, Dynamic Pricing. Undated. The “Smart Energy Consumer Collaborative” is run by a consortium of utilities and other corporations with stakes in electricity markets and power generation. So a more accurate name for the website would be the Smart Energy Producer Collaborative. Keep that in mind as you read this or other articles on their site. Nevertheless I think the article serves as a nice primer on the benefits of real-time electricity pricing.
- N. Phuangpornpitaka and S. Tia, (2013) Opportunities and Challenges of Integrating Renewable Energy in Smart Grid System, Energy Procedia.
- Graham and Glaister (2002)Demand for Automobile Fuel: A Survey of ElasticitiesJournal of Transport Economics and Policy. This is a meta analysis of several gasoline elasticity studies. It shows among other things that gasoline demand can be elastic in the long run.
- In 2008 when oil and gas prices spikes Mankiw compiled a nice series of popular press articles on consumer responses …. Demand for small cars and mass transit and camels, Demand for Online Education, Demand for Scooters and Bicycles. Demand for housing location, Demand for Mules.
- … and political responses.Obama’s 2008 Stance. Democrats Divided Over Gas Tax Break.
Mineral Resources and Recylcing
Case: Cape Town
- Lawrence Goulder, 2013, Markets for Pollution Allowances: What
Are the (New) Lessons?”, JEP.
- Schmalensee and Stavins, 2013, “SO2 Allowance Trading System: The Ironic History of a Grand Policy Experiment”, JEP27, p103-122.
- U.S. EPA , 2011, “Benefits and Costs of the CAA from 1990 to 2020”
- Craig Welch. 2018. Orcas and PCB pollution. National Geographic. Obviously, not directly related to air pollution, but came up in discussion to illustrate how even a drastic decrease in pollution may not lead to immediate ecological benefits if the stock of pollution from past emissions (flows) persists in the environment.