Post #5: At the Border

I have now entered another country and consider myself a world traveler. I wouldn’t call myself the most cultured man in the world, but some might. I thought I had achieved it with a simple step under the fence, but to my dismay, Peter told us it was actually a little farther back so I ran under the metal rod type fence. I found the border to be a very interesting visit and was honestly surprised at the type of patrolling and security surrounding it. I envisioned more of a fencing type situation or a more permanent border, but evident in the different places along the border we saw, it is more of a shifting type of border with patrolling cars along different areas. It makes sense when thinking about it, the Sonoran Desert is a large area and any type of fence would most likely be subject to weathering or simply tactics to get over or around it, so the best way includes a mix of a wall for things like car barriers as well as patrolling. From what was communicated by Kendall Jose and others we talked to about the border, and supported by facts, the remote desert areas experience far less smuggling than one would be led to believe because of the simply vastness and difficulty of traversing the long distances without being spotted. It was a great thing to be able to see because it allowed me to continue to shape my beliefs regarding the border and cemented the non-need for a wall. Crossed the border! (failed attempt )

One Reply to “Post #5: At the Border”

1. I totally agree that seeing the wall definitely cemented by ideas towards Trump’s envision of a border wall. After seeing the sheer amount of wildlife and lack of water, it became evident that installing a wall would be detrimental to the Tohono O’odham people and land. It was amazing to hear they installed a vehicle barrier in the wash basin and the fence washes when the river fills the basin. I could see how it is physically easy to cross the border without being spotted, but in reality, the Arizona heat, lack of food and water, and lack of shelter is definitely a deterrent for those illegally crossing into the United States.